Monday, February 1, 2010

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14303090?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

Last week Kara was very slow. She has a cold. It is not a horrible cold, but she does have a runny nose, and a little cough. I feel like when she is sick she acts weird. She just has weird behaviors. Sometimes when I watch her it is like she hallucinates. She just stares off in space forever, and she gets stuck in these weird patterns. For example, she will walk from one couch to the other waving her hands and making some weird uuuuuuggg noise, but she does it for like 30 minutes non-stop. It is like an OCD behavior. I know when I have a head cold it is not fun, but I feel like it affects her differently. I could be totally wrong.

She was very loving last week. At one point she grabbed my face and pulled it towards hers and gave me a kiss.

She is still getting out of her bed at night and in the morning. It is funny because when she gets out at night she tries to run down the hall away from us, but I grab her and tell her it is bedtime. She does surprisingly well with getting back in bed and not crying. She will only attempt to get out 2 or 3 times and then after that she stays in her bed and falls asleep. Kara getting out of her bed in the morning is not as bad as I thought it would be. She doesn't get out until 8am, and it is good for her to realize she can get out and get herself out of bed. Of course it is no fun when I want to sleep past 8am, but I think it is a great milestone for her.

This weekend we had the luxury of the therapists and babysitters back in our home. I feel very blessed and lucky that we have that service for her. My sister Cherie sent me this article; it is from the Salt lake Tribune. It saddens me to read and hear things like this. I am glad I live in a democratic state in times like this. Even though taxes are higher here, there are so many more services for Kara. Please take a moment to read the article.





1 comment:

  1. So often I could tell when a child was about to get sick when there behaviors increased. Think about it we all do self soothing techniques and stim more when we don't feel good. We watch more TV, take bubble baths, eat comforting foods ect. while people on the spectrum stim by rocking, babbling, ect.

    ReplyDelete